Cosmetic dental procedures have become more and more popular and commonplace over the past few years. With new technology, cosmetic dental work is no longer reserved for the wealthy. Teeth whitening, the most common cosmetic dental procedure can now be done at a more affordable price and only requires one dental appointment.
While there are better technology and heightened knowledge of cosmetic dentistry among dental professionals, there remains some slight risks. Cosmetic dentistry, after all, involves transforming your smile. Any cosmetic dental procedures, like other dental procedures, can create a sense of anxiety for any patient.
How do you discuss your concerns with your cosmetic dentist?
The best way to voice your concerns is to meet with your dentist and speak face-to-face. During your consultation, ask to spend some additional time alone with your dentist to go over the possible risks of your cosmetic dental procedure.
It is common to feel intimidated while in a dental office and your natural inclination may be to trust the dentist completely and never ask questions or voice concerns. A good dental professional will naturally expect questions from patients who are about to undergo invasive cosmetic dental procedures. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Your cosmetic dentist will understand your concerns. It is better to ask silly questions than to bottle your concerns inside. This will make your cosmetic procedure less enjoyable.
What if you don’t know what questions to ask or how to communicate your concerns? It may be helpful to do your homework beforehand about the cosmetic procedure you’re about to undergo. Take notes or write down anything that you’re concerned or not sure about. Set up a separate appointment with your cosmetic dentist and discuss what you wrote down and ask your questions. If you’re unable to have a private discussion with your dentist in person, call the office and speak with him or her on the phone.
If you’re struggling coming up with questions to get the conversation started, begin with basic questions about the procedure. These may include:
- Is this particular cosmetic procedure the only (or best) option? Why?
- What to expect on the day of the procedure?
- How long will the procedure last?
- How many of the same cosmetic procedures have the dentists done before and what is the success rate?
- How much will the procedure cost and will your insurance cover it?
- What are the possible risks or adverse side effects?
- What should be expected after the procedure? How much pain and discomfort will there be and how long will they last?
- What are the symptoms to look for after the procedure that indicates something isn’t right?
- What measures are taken to reduce possible risks?
- What follow-up is needed? How do you care for your mouth to maintain good results?
At Galleria Dentistry, our patients, and their dental health are important to us. We also know that going to a dentist office can be nerve-wracking and cosmetic dental procedures can be caused by anxiety. We have a unique patient-first program called concierge dentistry. With a patient-first philosophy, we have dentists available 24/7 to address your concerns, and we work with many forms of insurance.
Whether you need dental implants or smile contouring, you’ll receive the best care before, during and after your cosmetic dental procedure. To learn more about how cosmetic dentistry can better your smile, contact us today and set up an appointment.