Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) can be extremely painful. For some people, it may only manifest as a slight pain that eventually goes away, but, for others, this is a long-term debilitating pain. At Galleria Dentistry we use our extensive experience and the most recent technology to help alleviate this pain.
You don’t have to just “deal with the pain.” There are several solutions that will help end the discomfort.
Identifying the Problem
The first step is identifying the problem and letting us know about it.
Some of the common symptoms include:
- A popping or grating in the lower jaw (if these noises come with pain or hindrances in your ability to move your jaw)
- A change or shift in your normal bite
- Aching around the ears
- Pain, soreness or tenderness in your jaw
- Aching pain in the facial muscles
- Stiffness in your jaw muscles
- Regularly have trouble chewing food
- Joints locking and making it hard to open and close your mouth
What Is the Solution?
While there are some severe cases of TMJ that require surgery, it is not the first choice to correct the problem. It’s always better to use non-invasive treatments that don’t alter the shape of the jaw.
We can use oral appliances to help alleviate the pain. These are just small, plastic mouthpieces that fit over the upper and lower teeth. They can keep you from grinding your teeth at night, alleviating the strain and easing your pain. It can also protect your bite and keep your teeth in their correct place.
You can get relief from the pain of TMJ. Contact us today to find out how.